By Tim Callaway
Anthony and I took a little post New Year break (Anthony even squeezed in a day trip to Disneyland) and now we're back Inside The MC with a full slate of hugely fascinating stories that will inform, amuse and astound you. We hope you've all been vaccinated.
- The Golden Globe Awards were handed out Sunday night in Beverly Hills and Disney came up a goose egg as neither Into the Woods nor Big Hero 6 took home any awards. Not that the Mouse was favored in any category, but I digress. The biggest surprise for me was How to Train Your Dragon 2 beat out a strong Animated Feature category that included BH6, The Boxtrolls, The Book of Life and The Lego Movie.
|Into the Woods|
- Nominations for the 87th Academy Awards will be announced early Thursday morning. The Mouse Castle will be streaming the announcements live at www.TheMouseCastle.com. Watch for the link later this week. In a rare move, the Academy will announce live the nominees in all 24 categories--in past years they've limited it to the major categories only. Actor Chris Pine (Into the Woods), Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs, and directors Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity) and J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will make the announcements beginning at 5:30 a.m. Pacific. Which films are you rooting for this year? Boyhood? Birdman? Big Hero 6? Into the Woods?
- The Walt Disney World Marathon had a distinctly Brazilian flavor Sunday as the top four finishers in the men's division hailed from that country and the women's division winner did as well. As for me, I have no aspirations to run a marathon (yet), but I am set to run the Star Wars 5K and 10K races this weekend at Disneyland.
- In breaking news, thousands of people did not contract measles at Disneyland at the end of December BECAUSE THEY WERE VACCINATED. In other news, at least 20 people caught the virus because most of them were not. Vaccinate your kids.
|Fireworks over Sleeping Beauty Castle|
- At the parks, Disneyland is offering special discounts in the off-season for Southern California residents; Fantasy in the Sky fireworks have returned to the Happiest Place on Earth; and you can win a trip to Walt Disney World by visiting www.disneyflipside.com. Also, Disney Vacation Club is selling new timeshares at the Polynesian Village Resort, but what we're most excited about at the Poly is you can now get a Dole Whip at the new Pineapple Lanai quick-serve restaurant. Oh, and a Trader Sam's is opening there soon (we hope it's bigger than the one at the Disneyland Hotel--love the drinks and atmosphere, hate the small size). At Disney's Hollywood Studios, you can catch a sneak preview of Disney's new live-action Cinderella as well as get a gander at the little cinder girl's golden coach used in the film. It opens in U.S. theaters on March 13th.
- It disturbs us greatly that Michael C. Hall is joining the cast of Pete's Dragon, Disney's reboot of the 1977 film. It's nothing against Hall. We loved him in Dexter and Six Feet Under. What's disturbing is that a Pete's Dragon reboot even exists.
- We feel much better that this movie exists: